Vamos is the capital of the municipality, a well-preserved village with wonderful traditional houses, some of which have been restored and are already used as guest houses. Vamos offers very good customer services. There is a county court, post-office, bank, telephone company, police station and health center. According to historical sources its first inhabitants were Arab pirates around the 8th century.
Here is still a preserved traditional stone road and the walks around the old part of the village are very interesting. As we have mentioned before, Vamos was the capital of Sfakia in the second half of the 19th century and that is why there were many public buildings which were build by pasha Sava, the commander of the municipality.
These buildings – army camps, headquarters’ office, school – were all burned and demolished during the great battle of 1896 against the Turks.
Vamos is a great place for long walks in the nearby hills especially for its rich flora and fauna. In Vamos there is also a pine-tree forest, unique for the region. In the same region there is the Old Girl’s school that is now used as a public tourist guest house.
The village of Vamos has a rich cultural tradition and in the recent years lots of cultural activities are taking place during the year. South east of the village in the region of Karithi there is the monastery of Saint George. This belongs to the monastery of Agia Triatha of Tzagarolon in the region Acrotiri. There is a church, some preserved monk cells and the olive oil factory with its wonderful domes.
Nearest Beaches in Vamos
* Almirida beach, sun beds & sandy beach, restaurants, not exposed to wind, wind surf and other sea sport activities, 8 km
* Kalives beach, sun beds & sandy beach, restaurants, not exposed to wind , beach volley, 6km
* Kiani Akti, after Kalives 1 km towards Chania, sun beds & sandy beach, only one canteen, less crowded, not exposed to wind, long quiet beach for rackets players, 7 km
* Kera, between Kalives and Almirida, sandy beach, for those who don’t like organized beaches, no sun beds and restaurants, not exposed to wind, 7 km
* Ombrogialos bay with gentle rocks & colourful sea, well marked, between Paleloni and Kefalas, one nice tavern with fresh fish, interesting sea for snorkelling, exposed to wind, 8 km
* Georgioupoli beach, very touristic, sun beds & long sandy beach, restaurants, exposed to wind, horse riding (sometime on the beach), 10 km
* west to Georgioupoli river, there is Kalivaki beach, protected form the wind, and driving east 1 km after the river and ugly hotels, more quiet parts on the long sandy beach), 10km